Go To Coxhoe History Home Page About The Coxhoe History Group Go To The Commercial History Page Go To The Educational History Page Go To The Industrial History Page Go To The Military History Page Go To See The Key People Of Coxhoe Go To See Key Places In Coxhoe's History Go To The Religious History Page Go To The Social History Page
Go To Coxhoe Memories Use The Coxhoe History Group Timeline
Coxhoe and District Primrose Cycling Club

Evidence of an early cycle club was recorded in a Northern Echo article in 1896. The Coxhoe and District Primrose Cycling Club held their annual meeting at head-quarters in the Commercial Inn, Coxhoe with John Nevison presiding. They decided to hold an open run to Stockton on Good Friday and had decided on the club colours which would be dark blue, caps and jacket, with light blue braidings.

The following officers were elected:  President, Mr. John Wood, Coxhoe Hall; vice president Messrs J.A. Reed, W.H. Wilson, Jas Pallister, R. Hewison and J.T. Scott; captain Mr. W. Hardy;  vice-captain Mr G. Stephenson; secretary Mr. Jas Davison; treasurer,  Mr. Henry Bowerbanks delegate to N.C.U., Mr. Robt Brown, buglers, Messrs A Johnson and W. Bowerbank.

New Club

In The Northern Echo 1899, the forming of a new club was announced.   Promoted by the parish curate, Rev. W.J.C. Griffiths, the new club was formed and called Coxhoe Cycling Club.  It had about forty members including ladies and held its first meeting in the National School where they agreed to join the N.C.U.  The club colours were scarlet and white with badges. Runs were held on Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons.

The following officers were elected:  President Rev. D. Fleming, vicar of the parish church; vice-president  Mr J. Wood, Coxhoe Hall; captain Rev W.J.C. Griffiths; vice-captain Mr. R. Steel; buglers Messrs Tinkler & Wright; secretary M.R.V. Raw, Blackgate Coxhoe; treasurer Mr J.W. Ellerby ; committee Misses Topp, L Smith, E. Iceton, K. Salisbury, M. Robinson, Messrs J Gornall & A. Smith.

In 1900 the Northern Echo reported on the Coxhoe Cycling Clubs annual parade.  It was held on Sunday 30th July in the grounds of Coxhoe Hall.  Apparently up to 1,400 people were present at the service which was held on the west lawn.  “Headed by Coxhoe Brass Band the clubs paraded from the low end of the village to the Hall grounds, upward of 400 cyclists taking part in theprocession”. The other clubs represented were Marske, Hartlepool, Hartlepool Social, Darlington, North Road, Ferryhill, Durham, Sedgefield, Deaf Hill, Kelloe, Trimdon Grange, Wingate, Bishop Middleham, Ludsworth and Quarrington Hill.

May Allen’s memories of Coxhoe Cycle Club 1944

May Allen’s first visit to Coxhoe was in the summer of 1944. She had left school (Alderman Wraith) earlier in the year, to the dismay of my close school friend, Betsy Willis. Betsy came to see her at Ferryhill Station, where she lived, to suggest joining a cycling club at Coxhoe, as had another two girls in their school. May was not enthusiastic as first , as her bike was an old fashioned “sit up and beg” type, entirely unsuitable for a cycling fraternity! However, her brother Mark, allowed her to use his “racing” bike. They arranged to go one evening the following week to a club meeting, held at The Old Red Lion, at the bottom of Coxhoe. They were made very welcome while the venue for Sunday was arranged. This was to Murton sports ground, then along the coast back home.

Coxhoe Cycling Club Murton 1946

Coxhoe Cycling Club Murton 1946

Coxhoe Cycle Club at Murton 1946

Jim Spence was the leader and set the pace. He lived in Coronation Terrace and took them there to enroll in the National Cyclist union. The was the beginning of an enjoyable association with the outdoor life, at weekends and the pleasure of the week day meetings. Everyone was so friendly always. In due course May married a member – Arthur Allen in 1949 and came to live at Coxhoe. Some club members  remembered: Tom Lynn, Sid Oliver, Frank Robson, Jimmy Jackson, George and Ernie Heywood, Ronnie Armes, Arthur Martin, John Kay, Raymond Peat, Alfie Stobbs, Colin Heads & Ruth Walton, Betty Eddie, Bobby Jackson, wife & child on tandem, Jackie & Jessie Layton and child on tandem and George Waugh and Brian Kelly from Durham. There were two lads on a tandem from Sherburn and two brothers and sisters from Gurney Valley near Bishop Auckland.

They also met up with other clubs, particularly at Richmond meet – held about Whitsun. There were cycle races and various other sporting events held over the weekend. They camped, with other clubs, at a place about two or three miles outside Richmond. There would be lots of communal singing round the camp fire. A favourite place was Weardale, St John’s Chapel, then over the moors to Middleton in Teesdale and High Force.  Races from the bottom of Coxhoe to the Mile House, Stockton and back are remembered.

John Kay, May Turner, Betsy Willis, Frank Robson

May And Arthur With Tandem

May and Arthur With Tandem

Jim Spence kept order and was well known every place they visited.  His name deserves to be remembered in Coxhoe, for the time and effort he expended over the years for young people. 

Coxhoe Cycling Team

Lynn Allen

?, Tom Lynn, ?, Arthur Allen

Betty Willis Frank Robson East Howle 1946

Betty Willis & Frank Robson East Howle 1946

Sid Oliver, Jimmy Jackson, Frank Robson Murton Sports 1946

Sid Oliver, Jimmy Jackson & Frank Robson Murton Sports 1946

Betty Eddy and Ruth Walton Murton Sports 1946

Betty Eddy and Ruth Walton Murton Sports 1946

Back To Top

Go To Our Home Page Go To The About Us Page Go To The Commercial History Page Go To The Educational History Page Go To The Industrial History Page Go To Coxhoe's Military History Page Go To The Key People Of Coxhoe Page Go The Key Places Of Coxhoe Page Go To The Coxhoe Religious History Page Go To The Social History Page